Looking back at 2022 and ahead to 2023
Faaiza Ramji and Karen Unland are joined by Taproot co-founder Mack Male to look back at some of last year's innovation highlights and consider what's to come this year.
Here are the relevant links for this episode:
- How To Do an Annual Reflection to Get The Most Out Of The Year Ahead by Ashley Janssen
- Mack's Goodreads page
- Some raises of 2022 (figures from briefed.in):
- Wyvern: $13.7 million
- Aurora Hydrogen: $13 million
- DrugBank: $9 million
- Copperstone Technologies: $7.9 million
- Direct-C: $3.9 million
- Truffle Systems: $2.3 million
- HonestDoor: $2.2 million
- PulseMedica: $2.2 million
- PainWorth: $2.1 million
- Areto Labs: $1 million
- Calgary's NEO Financial raised $185 million in 2022
- Founders and funders seek common understanding in maturing investment scene
- Tax credits for carbon capture expected to fuel development around Edmonton
- PrairiesCan invests $17M to support innovation in Edmonton
- The Edge Fund: Championing Tech and Innovation in Edmonton
- Proposed Edge Fund would benefit from sharper focus, says investment manager
- The Entrepreneurial State by Mariana Mazzucato
- Zero Point Cryogenics closes deal involving National Research Council
- Work Nicer opens second Edmonton location at Mercer Warehouse
- Report identifies Edmonton Research Park as asset to regional innovation
- Resurrected DemoCamp aims to help connect Edmonton's tech community
- Startup TNT creates shared space for investors downtown
- Drivewyze hopes to welcome startup community to new HQ
- Accelerators put the pedal to the metal
- The Collapse of FTX: What Went Wrong With the Crypto Exchange?
- Alberta Machine Intelligence Institute (Amii)
- Mack's coverage of AccelerateAB in 2018
- Alberta E-sports Expo in February
- Startup TNT's Cleantech Summit, Life Sciences Summit, and AgTech Summit
- Hydrogen Summit in February and the Canadian Hydrogen Convention in April
- Upper Bound in May
Many thanks to our title sponsor, Edmonton Unlimited, for support of this episode. You'll hear more about Capital City Pilots from Abbie Stein-MacLean in this episode.
Bloom is produced by Taproot Edmonton, a source of curiosity-driven original stories, curated newsletters on various topics, and locally focused podcasts, all in the service of informing Edmontonians about what is going on in their community.
Sign up to get The Pulse, our weekday news briefing. It's free!
Editing by Castria; theme music by Dave Von Bieker; cover art by Vikki Wiercinski.★ Support this podcast ★
Creators and Guests
Co-founder of Taproot Publishing
Sign up for updates on Taproot Edmonton.© Taproot Publishing Inc.